Greyston is seeking a talented, hands-on, innovative and experienced Vice President of Talent and Culture, who will develop the HR function by enhancing and managing the implementation of HR strategy in partnership with the President & CEO, COO and Executive Management Team. This position requires an experienced, and highly effective HR professional with a career of increasing scope and responsibilities in all facets of HR in enhancing the Human Resources function’s effectiveness and organizational impact within a performance based and growth oriented, social impact focused organization.
Greyston creates thriving communities through the practice and promotion of Open Hiring™ and addresses some of the most disruptive issues facing our country today—inequality and recidivism—through human capital innovation. We are a hybrid organization providing job opportunities at our bakery located in southwest Yonkers where we produce over 40,000 pounds of brownies a day. Greyston provides not only the chance for individuals to overcome barriers that are keeping them from finding and maintaining employment, but also access to critically needed supportive services, such as child care, housing and mental health services. For more information, please visit Greyston’s website at greyston.org.
In addition to excellence in HR administration, the Vice President of Talent and Culture is responsible for highly effective recruiting and retention, performance management, supervisory capacity building, employee communication and engagement, and consistent application of HR policies and practices in support of Greyston’s’ organizational success and building an innovative, stimulating, diverse team-based work environment consistent with our Open Hiring™ values, principles and metrics.
The Vice President of Talent and Culture will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and has several direct reports. This position is based Yonkers, NY.
- Work closely with the COO and President & CEO to address current and future Human Resources needs in meeting the annual and strategic objectives of Greyston and its mission focused on Open Hiring™
- Develop, manage and streamline organization-wide employee focused processes related to the life cycle of Greyston’s staff including recruiting and orientation, retention and engagement, performance management, feedback and annual reviews, promotions, and benefits administration consistent with Greyston’s mission and Open Hiring™ Model
- Plan and implement Human Resources initiatives in support of Greyston’s organizational culture, to deliver Greyston’s objectives, and to attract and retain excellent staff;
- In partnership with supervisory management, develop the capabilities of Greyston’s staff through recruiting and retention of excellent staff, training and education, performance management, and identification of assignments which bring out the best in people in support of the Greyston’s Mission of Open Hiring™
- In partnership with The Center for Open Hiring™ at Greyston, provide guidance, input, and delivery of education and training tools to business and HR leadership considering Open Hiring™
- Provide thought leadership on the development of Greyston’s Open Hiring™ Model
- Lead, manage and develop the members of the HR team
- In partnership with the Vice President of Programs and Partnerships ensure and measure that staff who joined Greyston through Open Hiring™ and throughout Greyston grows and develops according to the principles of Open Hiring™ and PathMaking
- Manage the staff’s employment life cycle within the context of Greyston’s Open Hiring™, create and track metrics, and improve upon them
- Manage organization-wide communications
- Reevaluate and make recommendations to improve the annual merit review, compensation and promotion process
- In partnership with Finance, research and develop annual benefits renewals and lead the roll-out of its administration
- Lead creative initiatives aimed at strengthening Greyston’s culture and engaging staff with the local community
- Actively participate in senior leadership team meetings
- Develop and track key HR metrics, and create a HR dashboard
- Commitment to the desire to drive the mission and values of Greyston and Open Hiring™ within the culture of Greyston throughout an employee’s life cycle
- 8-12+ years of experience as a Human Resources professional in organizations with an increasing scope of responsibility of which 4-6 years in executive positions.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree in Human Resources preferred
- 6-8+ years of managerial experience
- Experience in workforce development and initiatives with the goal of helping employees and clients get and keep their jobs is preferred
- A proven track record in excellence in Human Resources’ administration, designing and driving organizational change initiatives, innovating and revamping hiring, development and retention practices, performance management, employee relations and communications, compensation and benefits and management of HR staff
- Experienced in leading organizational change initiatives
- Collective Bargaining experience
- Outstanding influencing, partnership and negotiation skills with strong ability to build relationships at all levels of the organization
- Exceptional track record in evaluating, recruiting, and retaining staff and new hires
- Outstanding ability to listen and to speak with people at all levels of the organization
- Results oriented mindset with the ability to be flexible in order to find the right balance between operational pressures, annual objectives and various internal and external pressures
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills, balancing process and organizational results
- Effective at finding a balance between listening, coaching, proposing, directing and deciding
- Metrics and data driven
- Persistence, patience and tact combined with excellent, data based judgment
- Highly accountable
- Able to provide pragmatic solutions, with urgency and wisdom, to complex organizational and staff issues
- Outstanding employee communications with a diverse staff
- Experience in developing and managing external partners
- Outstanding prioritization and project management skills
- Superb partnership and relationship building skills
- Excellent in absorbing new information quickly and translating key points into positive outcomes
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel
- Comfortable and effective in fast paced, accountability focused organization
If you have the right combination of skills and experience, a career characterized by innovation and an increasing scope of responsibilities in HR, want to play a lead role in the development of the HR function, and want to be a part of a mission driven organization focused on social impact, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Vice President of Talent and Culture” in the subject line. Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and/or email. Greyston conducts reference checks and computer literacy tests for final candidates.