The Center for Open Hiring General Manager
Why join us?
At Greyston, we create thriving communities through the practice and promotion of Open Hiring, which means we provide employment opportunities to people regardless of their background or work history, while offering them the support necessary both to succeed in the workplace and to thrive in the community. With our history as a social justice pioneer, Greyston is recognized as one of the country’s leading social enterprises that provides individuals opportunities for employment. Our philosophy fuels community development and a commitment to human growth and potential. With tremendous interest in socially responsible business and growing awareness of the massive economic dysfunction driven by poverty, recidivism and a lack of job opportunities for people with barriers, Greyston is poised to capitalize on these factors by launching The Center for Open Hiring at Greyston as a focal point for generating and measuring social innovation impact.
The General Manager is the entrepreneurial leader that will grow The Center for Open Hiring at Greyston over its next phase to become a hub of human capital innovation and a thought leader in the inclusive economy. As the head of The Center, the GM leverages all Greyston’s resources and 35-years of experience with Open Hiring, to provide services to partners and clients at The Center. Because of the GM’s strong business development and commitment to creating an inclusive economy, the GM will work with key decision makers at other organizations to advance the practice and drive adoption of Open Hiring. This role will lead the delivery of strategic projects by leveraging relationships across a myriad of public and private organizations. Through the entrepreneurial mindset, the GM will identify all opportunities to maximize the impact and profitability of The Center and be responsible for driving design and prioritizing execution of all services.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Lead Business Development at The Center for Open Hiring at Greyston.
- Provide overall leadership of The Center for Open Hiring at Greyston to ensure delivery of best in class Open Hiring practices, offerings, and services.
- Develop and execute the strategies for The Center to maximize our impact, including a fundraising and sustainable financial operating model.
- Develop The Center annual budget and align investments, staff, and other resources necessary to implement strategies and achieve impact goals.
- Serve as one of the organization’s spokespersons in promoting the organization and its mission.
Core Tasks & Timing for Key Responsibilities
Lead Business Development at The Center for Open Hiring at Greyston.
- Launch The Center and oversee the execution of projects in each of the three areas of research, training, and advisory services
- Develop a business development strategy for attracting new clients and partners to The Center for Open Hiring at Greyston.
- Drive the execution of multiple initiatives by using strategic thinking, strong communication, and dynamic problem-solving skills to “connect the dots” between projects. Actively engage with initiative leads and others to manage ground-level dlivery of deadlines as defined by the initiative owners, and identify and plan mitigation for cascading impacts when changes occur.
- Manage administration of all major deliverables.
- Serve as a thought partner with the CEO and other key resources to facilitate problem solving.
- Responsible for building and maintaining a constructive working relationship with relevant functions such as Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, IT, etc.
Provide overall leadership of The Center for Open Hiring at Greyston to ensure delivery of best in class Open Hiring practices, offerings, and services.
- Fosters and leverage relationships to build a pipeline of business for the expansion and adoption of Open Hiring across multiple industries.
- Develop The Center organizational goals and KPIs aligning funding, staff, and other resources necessary to implement strategies and achieve impact goals.
- Refine, scale and support the national and global uptake of the Open Hiring Model through providing pathways for learning and innovation.
- Build a community of OH practice through strategic partnerships with other organizations.
- Ensure that The Center serves as a catalyst for economic inclusion and social equity through the design, measurement, and refinement of Open Hiring methods, sustainable business practices, and innovative provision of essential community programs.
Develop and execute the strategies for The Center for Open Hiring at Greyston to maximize our impact, including product design, operations, and marketing.
- Achieve or exceed revenue, funding, and profit targets.
- Lead the design the ROI and SROI model to ensure business performance and community outcomes are being achieved, as well as use the information to further promote the use and adoption of the Open Hiring Model by other organizations.
- Develop an overall marketing plan to position The Center as the global leader in changing traditional hiring practices to give opportunities to people that would otherwise be denied the chance to be self-sufficient.
- Direct the building of effective training curriculum and materials utilizing a variety of media sources in order to train, coach, and mentor business professional’s interest in implementing the Open Hiring model in their organizations.
Develop The Center for Open Hiring at Greyston annual budget and align investments, staff, and other resources necessary to implement strategies and achieve impact goals.
- Lead and support the success of all direct reports in establishing, executing, and achieving annual SMART goals that further Greyston’s mission and vision.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate rapid growth of The Center.
Serve as one of the organization’s spokespersons in promoting the organization and its mission.
- Actively promote through speaking engagements, articles, and social media the Open Hiring Model and The Center with the goal of having Open Hiring become common lexicon to every organization.
- Serve as an outside consultant and partner with other organizations to promote the Open Hiring model.
- Act as lead “client-care officer” through direct contact with every client partner.
Skills & Abilities
- Proven experience managing complexity and ability to thrive under high-pressured, ambiguous and uncertain conditions
- Understanding or appreciation for systems thinking, or systems change management.
- Experience or strong interest in radical innovation, including, but not limited to, these industries: Impact Hiring, consulting, and Business Development.
- Proven leadership ability, specifically experience in managing and creating multi-disciplinary teams for effective innovation in solving for systemic challenges.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to construct new and innovative solutions for complex and varying problems, including knowledge and experience with business model innovation tactics and tools.
- Commitment to Greyston’s core values, mission, and programs with an approach that is consistent with the foundation’s guiding principles and holding self to the highest ethical standards.
- Skilled in building partnerships to achieve strategic initiatives and attain organizational goals.
- Strong influence skills and ability to work successfully with peers; a true team player.
- Experience creating program budgets and delivering on measurable outcomes.
- Proven verbal, written and presentation skills, i.e., clear, succinct, and compelling writing style, expertise in storytelling to clients, investors, or other stakeholders a key plus.
- Ability to lead while being part of an integrated team, including the ability to develop talent and build a high performing team.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and function within a dynamic and challenging environment.
- Excellent organizational skills, demonstrated ability to lead teams through a complex and ambiguous task.
- Proven track record of driving a stringent project management function in a large and complex environment.
- Project Management experience including design and hands-on delivery.
- Ability to be independent and work effectively and with sensitivity across barriers, such as language and culture.
- Must be a motivated self-starter with an entrepreneurial attitude.
- 10+ years of business development and operations experience or proven leadership ability in managing and creating multi-disciplinary teams for effective innovation in solving for systemic challenges
- 5+ years not-for-profit experience a plus
- Proven track record of business development, building a sustainable business model, or consultative sales a plus
- Experience with a $20+ million company a plus
Working poor, Social Justice and poverty subject matter expert a plus
Greyston is committed to creating equitable employment opportunities for all individuals. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.