Director of Quality and Research & Development
Greyston is seeking a talented, hands-on and experienced Director of Quality and Research and Development, to lead these functions of Greyston Bakery. This role ensures that all external and internal requirements are met before our baked products reach our customers, while also leading research and development projects from concept through commercialization. This role is the principal Quality and R&D liaison with key accounts and works closely with Sales, Marketing, Cost Accounting and Operations to assure the consistent high quality of our current and future products.
Greyston creates thriving communities through the practice and promotion of Open Hiring™ and addresses some of the most disruptive issues facing our country today—inequality and recidivism—through human capital innovation. We do this by providing job opportunities and a range of support services to employees at our bakery located in southwest Yonkers where we produce over 40,000 pounds of brownies each day.
Greyston Foundation provides not only the chance for individuals to overcome barriers that are keeping them from finding and maintaining employment, but also access to critically needed supportive services, such as child care, housing and mental health services. For more information, please visit Greyston’s website at greyston.org.
This position requires an experienced, tenured and highly effective Quality and R&D leader. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated career trajectory toward quality assurance and product innovation roles, focused on measurable contributions to organizational effectiveness, performance and growth, and will demonstrate both process leadership and research creativity. This position requires establishment of consistent inspection and documentation procedures, including the identification of non-conformity issues throughout the production process.
The Director of Quality and Research and Development plays a key role in Greyston’s organizational success and is charged with leading an innovative, stimulating, diverse, and team-based work environment, consistent with our Open Hiring values, principles and metrics.
The Director of Quality and Research and Development will report directly to the General Manager of the Bakery and has two direct reports; a Quality Manager and a R&D Leader. This position is based Yonkers, NY.
- Lead and manage both Quality and Research and Development functions, ensuring consistency in product quality, processes, development and documentation of existing and future products
- Oversee procedures to inspect, report and document quality issues
- Lead Research and Development initiatives to bring new products and packaging to market on schedule and within budget
- Coordinate initiatives of Sales and Marketing, Production, Cost Accounting and administrative functions in support of the development of product and packaging changes and technologies to improve quality and product performance.
- Develop accurate nutritional, labeling, and product specification information and maintain all appropriate records
- Keep excellent records of quality reports, statistical reviews and related documentation
- Monitor and assist Production team in troubleshooting and improving quality and performance of products and packaging
- Oversee initial production runs on all new products
- Ensure root cause analysis and immediate corrective actions are taken regarding quality issues.
- Partner with suppliers, maintain knowledge, and develop trials for newly available ingredients and related technologies
- Effectively participate in cross-functional teams and meetings to advance the mission of the organization
- Lead, manage and develop the members of the Quality and R&D team
- Partner with supervisory management to develop the quality control capabilities of Greyston’s staff in the context of the Greyston’s Mission of Open Hiring™
Commitment to drive the mission and values of Greyston and Open Hiring™ within the culture of Greyston throughout an employee’s life cycle
- 12+ years of experience in Quality and Research and Development positions, with an increasing scope of responsibility year–over–year, including 4-6 years of leading a department
- Experience in food science, nutrition or related field
- 6-8+ years of supervisory management experience
- Baking expertise strongly preferred
- Experience in production of inclusions through baked goods, confectionary, chocolate, dried fruits/nuts, or other products is preferred but not required
- Experienced, creative, and resourceful in bringing new food products from idea to market
- Thorough knowledge of methodologies of quality assurance and research and development
- Great attention to detail, commitment to consistent high quality, process- and results-focused
- Excellent leadership, listening, and supervisory management skills, and ability to provide direction to people at all levels of the organization
- Outstanding influencing and partnership skills with a strong ability to build commitment to quality in a manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of food manufacturing regulatory issues, regulatory agencies, and regulatory compliance
- Prior training and certifications in HACCP, Good Manufacturing Practice, and SQF programs
- Strong capabilities in implementing and leading food safety programs and organizational quality initiatives
- Results–oriented mindset with the ability to be flexible in order to find the right balance between consistency in quality, creativity and efficacy in research and development, and operational pressures
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills, balancing process and organizational results
- Effective at finding a balance between listening, coaching, proposing, directing and deciding
- High accountability, persistence, patience and tact combined with excellent, data–based judgment
- Able to provide pragmatic solutions in a fast paced environment with urgency and wisdom
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills in a setting with a diverse staff
- Strong prioritization, project management skills, and use of metrics and data
- Excellent in absorbing new information quickly and translating key points into positive outcomes
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel
If you have the right combination of skills and experience, a career characterized by success in delivering consistent results and an increasing scope of responsibilities in Quality and R&D, want to play a lead role in the development of the Quality and R&D department, and want to be a part of a mission driven organization focused on social impact, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Quality and Research and Development” in the subject line. Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and/or email. Greyston conducts reference checks and computer literacy tests for final candidates.