Introduction to Culinary Arts Teacher, Part-time, Temporary
Our mission within Greyston Workforce Development is to offer a program that allows individuals to gain the skills & knowledge needed to enter, re-enter or advance within the world of work. We offer a variety of career training programs focused on industries that are hiring.
The Introduction to Culinary Arts Teacher will teach key culinary and food handling skills using Greyston’s commercial grade kitchen at 21 Park Avenue, Yonkers, NY 10703. The Teacher will serve as a role model and inspire participants to cook gourmet meals that, through their hard work, will help open the door to a fulfilling and exciting career.
Responsibilities also include coordinating food preparation for catering orders and special events that highlight the skills and knowledge of the students. Facilitate class discussions on cooking and food safety and allow participants to brainstorm how they might put new behaviors into action, discuss barriers for adopting new behaviors, and share ideas with their peers for overcoming barriers.
A positive and successful program can be achieved through, but not limited to, equality in the distribution of assignments, friendliness, flexibility, patience, listening skills, clear/concise communication designed for the audience, and adaptability to changing a lesson plan on demand to meet the daily goal.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Follow and enhance our Introduction to Culinary Arts course curriculum by preparing the syllabus and lesson plans for classroom instruction.
- Demonstrate the use of standard teaching techniques including the assessment of student performance through observation and interaction in achieving goals and objectives of each lesson.
- Knowledge of current safety/culinary procedures to conduct ServSafe training and proctoring of online exam.
- Deliver clear, concise and organized lectures demonstrating culinary techniques and concepts assuring compliance with principles of food safety and sanitation.
- Ability to order products within a strict budget and maintain appropriate inventory.
- Participate in screening prospective students during student orientation.
- Lead two events (buffet lunch and al a carte dinner) for Executive Team, Board Members, and invited Politicians where students will showcase their new knowledge.
- Schedule guest lecturer(s) and a minimum of one (1) field trip.
Part-time temporary teaching opportunity with the following non-negotiable commitments:
- One (1) teaching session lasting ten (10) weeks starting Monday, January 14, 2019 and ending on Thursday, March 21, 2019;
- Four (4) days per week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday); and
- Six (6) hours per day (9:00am – 3:00pm) = 24 hours per week.
- Attend student orientation the first week of January (date/time TBD) to participate in screening prospective students.
- Associate’s degree in culinary arts from an accredited school;
- ServSafe certification (National Restaurant Association NRA);
- ServSafe Instructor certification with 80% student certification testing success rate;
- Worked the last three (3) years as a head chef / executive chef;
- Experience in education and curriculum design teaching groups with 10+ participants; and
- Designed knowledge testing to compliment lesson plans and gage student performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in culinary arts from an accredited school
- ServSafe Proctor certification (National Restaurant Association NRA)
- Culinary Educator certification (American Culinary Federation ACF)
- Taught fine dining etiquette and front of restaurant hosting practices emphasizing first impression and customer experience.
- Experience teaching for a workforce development program, social justice mission driven organization, and/or an adult population experiencing employment barriers with varying levels of education.
Greyston is committed to creating equitable employment opportunities for all individuals. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Why join us?
At Greyston, we create thriving communities through the practice and promotion of Open Hiring, which means we provide employment opportunities to people regardless of their background or work history, while offering them the support necessary both to succeed in the workplace and to thrive in the community. With our history as a social justice pioneer, Greyston is recognized as one of the country’s leading social enterprises that provides individuals opportunities for employment. Our philosophy fuels community development and a commitment to human growth and potential. With tremendous interest in socially responsible business and growing awareness of the massive economic dysfunction driven by poverty, recidivism and a lack of job opportunities for people with barriers, Greyston is poised to capitalize on these factors by launching the Center for Open Hiring as a focal point for generating and measuring social innovation impact.
$33.00/hour; not eligible for benefits