Building Maintenance Assistant
We are currently searching for a Building Maintenance Assistant to be responsible for a variety of general building services for a 55,000 square feet facility encompassing administrative offices, training space and two floors of 35 studio apartments including, but not limited to the repair, operation, general upkeep, maintenance, safety and security duties according to Facilities and Program procedures and protocols. Responsible for the overall maintenance and operations of buildings and grounds of the Institution, insuring that the facility are clean, properly functional, in good repair, safe and secure.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read and understand work instructions
- Ability to follow directions
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Able to stand, lift, and bend
- Ability to work under adverse weather conditions
- Perform the essential functions of this job; the candidate is routinely required to work on their feet throughout the course of the workday.
- Willing and able to work additional hours as needed to ensure responsibilities
- Responsible for basic building repairs such as plumbing, carpentry, painting, plastering, electrical and to other building related systems.
- Responsible for studio apartment turnovers including spackling, painting, replacing cabinetry, fixtures and appliances and other repairs.
- May be assigned to open/close program unit/buildings and operate basic building systems such as security locksets, alarms, lighting, fire safety, utilities, etc.
- Be familiar with all Greyston’s regulatory requirements pertaining to facility programs operations, facilities maintenance and general safety requirements (OSHA, DEP, and Dept. of Health).
- Cleans, lubricates, repairs, maintains, organizes and stores all required tools and equipment.
- Responsible for grounds maintenance, mowing, raking, weeding, planting, pruning, etc.
- Responsible for removing ice/snow, maintaining sidewalks clean and free debris as per Yonkers DOS regulations
- Collects, manages trash removal and recycling as per building requirements and regulations.
- Moves office furniture, equipment and supplies in and around building and grounds in the course of executing assigned duties
- Work from OSHA approved ladders and work platforms as required to complete basic repairs and maintenance.
- Attends and successfully completes safety, security and other trainings required by Greyston
- Drive yourself and coworkers when necessary using company vehicles in the course of doing your job as directed by management
- Observe, document and report to supervisors any problems with the building, unit or property including all facility related as well as safety/operational issues
- Use hand tools, power tools, ladders/lifts, personal safety gear and follow safety protocol as directed
- Observe and report all work performed by external vendors and contractors, building superintendents to insure quality of work and compliance with agency specifications
- Facilitate access to work areas
- Complete and return work orders, keep documents and maintain records
- Ensure follow up and completion of required tasks
- May be assigned to alternate Greyston buildings as required
- Required to attend and pass all required training (equipment use, OSHA, DEP, etc.) provided by Greyston or other operational requirements of the organization.